What is the Lifeline Assistance Program
The Lifeline program provides at least $9.25 per month as a discount to help reduce the landline phone service monthly costs.
Free Landline Phone Service for SeniorsIf you need a free landline phone service, many Lifeline wireless providers offer a completely free phone service plus a free phone. To know more, check out the free phones for seniors.
- Recommended: Verizon landline plans for seniors
- Recommended: AT&T home phone plans for seniors
- Recommended: Verizon home phone service for seniors
Who Are Qualified and How to Apply
You’re qualified for the Lifeline program if you participated in a government assistance program, or your income is below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines.
The Lifeline benefits are limited to one participation per household and lower either monthly phone or internet costs. Also, you can get a discount from only one service provider.
If you or at least one in your household receiving benefits from one or more of the following federal assistance programs you are eligible to get the free phone discount
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- National School Lunch Program’s Free School Lunch.
- Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met)
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Food Stamps
To get the Lifeline discount
- You must prove that you’re receiving benefits through one of the above programs by presenting a card or letter from SNAP or Medicaid.
- Then you need to select one of the lifeline service providers in your area and request an application.
- You have to provide your personal information such as the name, address, date of birth, show your ID, social security card, or other documents and forms.
- The selected landline provider will process your request. If the provider accepts your subscription, you’ll sign up and get a discount off your monthly bill.
The second option to getting a cheap home phone service is to prove that your income is below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines.
You can show that by presenting an official document containing income information such as:
- Current income state from your employer.
- Social Security statement of benefits.
- Federal notice letter of participation in General Assistance.
Now, you need to select a lifeline landline service provider in your area and request an application, the same way as explained above. The Lifeline provider will process your application, and if you are eligible, you’ll sign up and get the Lifeline discount off your monthly bill.
Landline Phone Service for Seniors - Lifeline ProvidersAT&T
Lifeline qualifiers may get at least a $9.25 discount on their monthly phone bill. If you’re eligible and live on federally recognized tribal lands, you may get up to an additional $25 monthly discount on your phone bill.
AT&T provides Lifeline benefits in select areas of the following states:
Alabama – AL, Arkansas – AR, California – CA, Florida - FL, Georgia – GA, Illinois - IL, Indiana - IN, Kansas – KS, Kentucky – KY, Louisiana – LA, Michigan – MI, Minnesota – MN, Mississippi – MS, Nevada – NV, North Carolina – NC, Ohio – OH, South Carolina – SC, Tennessee – TN, Texas – TX, Wisconsin – WI.
- You should call for availability in your specific area.
- If you get the AT&T landline phone service discount, you must recertify every year within 60 days of notification to maintain your Lifeline discount.
How to Apply
- If you live in California and AT&T Lifeline discount is available in your location, your location, you can call 866.454.8387 to start your application process.
- If you live in Texas, you can apply by calling 866.454.8387 or apply online.
- If you live outside California and Texas, you must apply through National Verifier.
- If you live in Illinois or Ohio, you may be eligible for an installation credit.
- Seniors who are 65 or over and live in Michigan may receive an additional monthly discount.
- If you live in Minnesota, you can apply for the Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP) by calling AT&T at (800.288.2747), and the eligibility based on income.
Verizon customers who are qualified for the Lifeline discount are eligible to receive a reduced rate on their home phone monthly bill. Customers who live in Tribal lands may get an additional discount on the landline service and the cost of a new home phone service installation.
Verizon offers the Home Phone Connect Plan, which gives you unlimited minutes for $10.74 per month after the Lifeline discount applied, and you’ll pay a $35 one-time activation fee.
Verizon provides Lifeline benefits in select areas of the following states:
Connecticut – CT, District of Columbia–DC, Delaware – DE, Maryland – MD, Massachusetts – MA, New Jersey – NJ, New York – NY, North Carolina – NC, Pennsylvania – PA, Rhode Island – RI, Virginia – VA.
How to Apply
- Qualifications for the Lifeline assistance program vary from one state to another.
- You can apply online with the Lifeline National Verifier.
- If the provider accepts your subscription for the Lifeline, you can apply to receive home phone service from Verizon at a discounted rate after verifying:
- You are not receiving Lifeline benefits from another provider.
- Your identity, based on your full name, date of birth, and the last four digits of your Social Security Number.
With CenturyLink, low-income customers can qualify for two assistance programs, the Federal Lifeline program and an assistance program at the state level called the Telephone Assistance Program (TAP).
Eligible Lifeline customers will get up to a $9.25 monthly discount. In some states, additional monthly support is also available. The Tribal lands residents can get an additional monthly discount and installation assistance for the new customers via the Link-Up program.
If you’re not eligible for the Lifeline landline discount, you may need to check out the cheap landline phone service for seniors to get the most affordable home phone service in your area.
Cheap Landline Phone Service for SeniorsIf you need standalone landline service and don’t need internet or TV services, certain providers offer cheap home phone voice-only plans, but in select areas. Let’s preview the low-cost landline phone plans for seniors.
Cheapest Landline Services for Seniors without InternetHow can I get a landline without Internet?
Many landline phone providers offer cheap voice-only home phone plans, but in select areas. We reviewed many of the available landline phone plans offered by different landline service providers and picked up the cheapest plans that offer landline without internet.
CenturyLink offers reliable landline service with a crystal-clear connection. The cheapest home phone plan is the Basic Home Phone Plan, which provides local calling for $23.34 per month. This landline phone plan doesn’t include long-distance calling and comes with no calling features.
If you need long-distance calling or need to get calling features such as Call waiting, Caller ID, 3-Way Calling, Call Forwarding, and Voicemail, CenturyLink offers the Unlimited Home Phone Plan for a higher price.
Cox Voice Premier offers landline phone service for seniors starting at $29.99 per month. This plan includes a primary phone line with up to 14 calling features, voice mail, and unlimited long-distance service within the United States and to Mexico and Canada.
Other included features
- Directory listing.
- You can keep your phone number or get a new one.
Spectrum Voice Package offers unlimited local calling, unlimited long-distance calling, and other calling features such as Caller ID, Call waiting, and 3-way calling. The long-distance service includes calls within the United States, Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Mexico, and Canada. This calling plan costs $29.99 per month as a standalone landline phone plan. You can get it for $9.99 per month when bundled with internet and/or TV services.
What we do like about Spectrum
- Offer standalone voice service.
- No contract, no added fees, and taxes.
- Up to 28 calling features.
What we don’t like about Spectrum
- They carry voice Service via phone lines. That means you may experience service outages because of the weather.
Xfinity offers multiple standalone home phone plans. The cheapest home phone plan is the Xfinity Voice Unlimited, which starts at $29.99 and offers crystal clear voice, many calling features, and unlimited nationwide calling and calls to almost half the world. Xfinity offers standalone home phone plans for seniors with no-contract and 1-year price guarantee.
What is the cheapest landline phone service? Or What is the cheapest home phone plan?
Cheap Landline Phone Plans Summary
- CenturyLink Basic Home Phone Plan for $23.34 per month.
- Cox Voice Premier Plan starting at $29.99 per month.
- Spectrum Voice Package at $29.99 per month.
- Xfinity Voice Unlimited at $29.99 per month.
Best Landline Phone Service for SeniorsIf you need internet or TV services, bundling home phone and internet and/or TV can save you money. Below are the best home phone deals for seniors from reliable landline service providers. The following list will tell you how much does a landline cost monthly. Some of these providers allow you to get landline phone service when only bundled with internet service.
AT&T offers the AT&T Phone Unlimited North America plan at $22.99 per month when bundled with internet service. This plan offers unlimited nationwide calling inside the U.S., to Mexico, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Northern Marianas. It offers calling features such as Caller ID and Call Waiting.
Verizon offers the Fios Digital Voice Unlimited at $20 per month when bundled with internet or TV. This plan includes unlimited nationwide calling and to Canada and Puerto Rico. It also includes 20+ calling features.
Frontier offers Voice Service at $10.00 per month when bundled with the internet service. This plan provides unlimited nationwide calling within the United States and to Mexico and Canada. It also includes over 20 calling features.
CenturyLink offers the Basic Home Phone Plan at $23.34 per month. It includes unlimited local calling and doesn’t come with any calling features.
Cox offers the Voice Premier at $29.99 per month. This plan offers unlimited nationwide calling plus more than 14 calling features.
Spectrum offers the Spectrum Voice package at $29.99 per month. This plan offers unlimited nationwide calling in the U.S. and to Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and more. It also includes 28+ calling features.
Xfinity offers the Xfinity Voice Unlimited, which starts at $29.99 and offers unlimited nationwide calling plus more than 12 calling features.
Whenever you’re looking for free landline phone service for seniors or a cheap landline service for seniors, you need to check if you’re qualified for the Lifeline Assistance program. If you are not qualified, you may start looking for a standalone home phone service provider in your area, and if you need internet service, you must check out the offered home phone bundles, which can save you money and decrease the home phone cost.
How can I get a free landline?
Free government landline phone service
If you are on a government assistance program like Medicaid or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, you may be qualified for a discounted landline phone service under the Lifeline Assistance program.
How much does a landline cost per month?
On average, a landline service costs about $30 per month. CenturyLink offers the Basic Home Phone Plan for $23.34 per month, this is one of the cheapest landline phone plans without internet. You can get the landline service at a lower price when bundled with internet or TV.